Hotel Uzwil was built in 1873. As it was the first building in Uzwil with a large hall, it was used to host all of the municipality’s public meetings and evening entertainment. The building was destroyed by a fire in 1884, but was restored to its former glory and reopened by 1885. The new building was the first public accommodation in Canton St. Gallen with electric lighting – a pioneering achievement at the time.
In 1909, the building fell victim to a second fire. Shortly afterwards, the hotel was rebuilt in its modern incarnation, incorporating a mixture of older architectural elements and newer, more contemporary design features.
Since 1995, the hotel has belonged to the Bühler family, who share its Uzwil heritage. The family has ensured that the hotel’s rich traditions are preserved even as it keeps pace with the times.